While a lot of people think stews and soup for cold weather, I also think casseroles. You can put them together earlier in the day; then cook them so they are piping hot for dinner. Plus we always have leftover turkey in the freezer. That tends to happen when your Dad makes two big turkeys for 7 people. Why you might ask. He likes to roast one and grill or smoke another. Cooking is fun for him, and Thanksgiving is all his. He gets to use all of his creativity which means lots of variety. In addition to two turkeys, he makes three different types of stuffing not to mention all the other sides. It is a fun meal.
When you are putting that much time into one dinner, you need some quick and easy dinner ideas. That makes Turkey Enchilada Casserole with Salsa Verde perfect. I use to make actual enchiladas, but I have to admit I hate rolling up the tortillas. It seems to take forever. In this casserole you simply layer all the ingredients. You don’t need to moisten the tortillas then hope they don’t fall apart as you roll them. Plus I was able to add some additional vegetables without my daughter looking at me as if I had two heads. She is highly suspicious of enchiladas with vegetables in them.
Give yourself a break, use up that leftover turkey and enjoy a healthy and delicious dinner of Turkey Enchilada Casserole with Salsa Verde. By the way, you can also make this casserole with leftover chicken. Go for it!
If you want to be sure to see Food Done Light’s next recipe, Pumpkin Cranberry Muffins, subscribe by email below. You won’t want to miss it.
Happy Healthy Eating,
Turkey Enchilada Casserole with Salsa Verde
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic
- 10 oz bottled salsa verde
- 2 cups shredded cooked turkey breast
- 12 oz frozen chopped broccoli thawed
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt cream cheese
- 10 corn tortillas
- 2 oz crumbed queso fresco
Preheat oven to 425•. Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
In a blender, puree the onion, cilantro, garlic and salsa verde until smooth.
In a large bowl, stir together 3/4 cup salsa mixture, turkey, broccoli and cream cheese.
Layer five corn tortillas on the bottom of the baking dish. You can cut a tortilla in half to cover the bottom easier.
Spread turkey mixture evenly over the tortillas.
Top with remaining tortilla, cutting them to fit.
Spoon the remaining salsa mixture on the top and sprinkle with cheese.
Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
I calculated 5 Weight Watcher Smart Points
- Drunken Pumpkin Spice Latte by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Hot Mulled Caramel Apple Sangria by The Crumby Cupcake
- Mexican Atole by Curious Cuisiniere
- Gluten Free Hot Spiked Apple Cider by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Apple Pear Crisp by The Freshman Cook
- Bananas Foster by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Hazelnut Lava Cake by Brunch with Joy
- Fudge Pudding Cake by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Honeycrisp Apple Tart by The Redhead Baker
- Pumpkin Cheesecake in Pumpkins by Desserts Required
- Warm Cardamom and Coconut Rice Pudding by Fearless Dining
Main Dishes and Soups
- Beef Brats and Beans Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Beef Pot Pie with Herbed Biscuits by From Gate to Plate
- Best Ever White Bean and Mushroom Soup by Pancake Warriors
- Braised Venison with Plums by Food Lust People Love
- Butternut Squash Chili by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Butternut Squash Risotto with Pears and Sage by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Carbonnade Flamande by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Classic Italian Meat Sauce by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Creamy Cauliflower Broccoli Cheese Soup by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Hearty Chickpea Soup by The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Creamy Stove-Top Alfredo with Bacon and Green Beans by Peaceful Cooking
- Crockpot Creamy Chicken and Noodles by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Curry Debal by Palatable Pastime
- Easy Sweet Potato Soup by Healing Tomato
- Easy Zuppa Toscana Soup Copycat by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- French Onion Soup by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Gingered Butternut Squash Soup by Noshing With The Nolands
- Hearty Turkey Lentil Soup by A Gouda Life
- Hearty Vegetable Beef Soup by Party Food and Entertaining
- Mango Habanero Sauce by What Smells So Good?
- Oxtail Stew by Nosh My Way
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting by Serena Bakes Simply from Scratch
- Red Lentil Soup by My San Francisco Kitchen
- Roasted Squash Soup by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Turkey Enchilada Casserole with Salsa Verde by Food Done Light
- Slow Cooker English Roast by Wholistic Woman
- Slow Cooker Lamb Rogan Josh by Caroline’s Cooking
- Easy Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Mushroom Gravy by Feeding Big
- Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Spice Rubbed Braised Beef by FamFriendsFood
- Spicy Meatball Tortilla Soup by The Weekend Gourmet
- Sweet Potato Soup with Bacon by Cooking Chat
- Turkey Chipotle Chili by The Complete Savorist
- Tuscan White Bean Soup with Ham by Big Bear’s Wife
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
But wait, there’s more. Check out these deliciously, low calorie Mexican recipes: