Fire Roasted Tomato Basil Soup with low fat Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwiches is the perfect, healthy weeknight dinner the entire family will love.
Welcome to 2015!
At Food Done Light, we are starting out with some healthy comfort food. It is part of my mission to change people’s perception of what healthy or “low calorie” food is. It isn’t about eating rabbit food or a bunch of steamed vegetables. The point is just to make delicious food that satisfies your taste buds, stomach and soul. When you take a bite, you shouldn’t think “Oh, this is low calorie”. I hope you just think “Yum.” That is why I am starting off with Tomato Basil Soup with Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwiches. Tomato basil soup is so simple to make low calorie and low fat. It is a no brainer. The pimento cheese is an indulgence, but with a couple of healthy food swaps it can fit into your healthy eating plan.
Tomato soup with grilled cheese also reminds me of my childhood. This was a frequent lunch for us. It is cheap and easy. My daughter still loves the combination for lunch or dinner. I bet a lot of you remember having it for lunch too. Cheese and tomatoes were born to be together. Basil gives the soup a little update. Pimento cheese is a little nod to the South, where we live now. I had no clue what pimento cheese was until we moved to Georgia. I definitely did not know how much I loved it. I learned very quickly how good pimento cheese is. I especially love it on a burger and put it on one on the blog, Bacon Jalapeno Burgers with Pimento Cheese. If you have never had it, you must! Try something new in 2015, pimento cheese. You will not be disappointed.
This is a dinner everyone will love. Kids don’t seem to mind eating vegetables when they are in soup. They don’t need to know that the soup is pretty much nothing but vegetables. If they are like me, I am a dunker. Oh yes, I love to dunk my grilled cheese into the tomato soup. The crisp, cheesy bread soaks up some of the savory, tomato soup for the most perfect bite. I like to savor each bite, and I make sure I do not eat the grilled cheese too fast. I like to have a bite of grilled cheese left with the very last spoonful of soup. My daughter likes to dunk her sandwich too, but she eats all of the sandwich then eats the soup.
How do you like to eat your soup and sandwich?
If you want to be sure to see Food Done Light’s next recipe, Pancake, Egg and Sausage Breakfast Sandwiches, subscribe by email below. You won’t want to miss it.
Happy Healthy Eating,
Happy Healthy Eating,
- Almond Mocha Smoothie from The Foodie Army Wife
- Chocolate-Covered Berries Green Smoothie from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Citrus DeTox Spa Water from La Bella Vita Cucina Peachilious Smoothie from Peanut Butter and Peppers Blissful Breakfast Items
- Apple Crumble Smoothie Bowl from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Light Eggs Benedict from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Multigrain Scones from The Texan New Yorker
- Nutty Granola Bars from Pies and Plots
- Reduced Sugar Donuts from The Ninja Baker
- Broccoli Pesto from Curried Cantaloupe
- Fava Bean and Avocado Guacamole from Pancake Warriors
- Homemade Snickerdoodle Peanut Butter from Wallflour Girl
- Norwegian Egg Benedict from Brunch with Joy
- Roasted Pumpkin and Chevre Bruschetta from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Spicy Curried Lentil Spread with Winter Veggies from Lifestyle Food Artistry
Savory Soups and Sides
- Butternut Squash and Roasted Red Pepper Soup from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Light Creamed Roasted Vegetable Soup from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Detox Chicken Bok Choy Soup from Nosh My Way
- French Potato Leek Soup from Curious Cuisiniere
- Gluten Free Chicken Pho Soup from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Marinated Tomato and Mozzarella Salad from From Gate to Plate
- Quinoa Mango Pomegranate Spinach Salad with White Balsamic Vinigrette from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Red Cabbage and Golden Raisin Salad from girlichef
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts and Endive Slaw with Champagne Vinaigrette from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Spinach and Black Bean Ravioletti Soup from Big Bear’s Wife
- Black Pepper Tofu with Black Garlic Sauce from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Fish Steamed with Spicy Couscous from Food Lust People Love
- Greek Style Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce from Nik Snacks
- Kale Pesto with Squash Noodles from Ruffles & Truffles
- Mexican Turkey Cutlets from Magnolia Days
- Meyer Lemon Roasted Chicken Thighs, Fennel & Sweet Potato from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Portuguese Kale Soup from Recipes Food and Cooking
- Salmon with Mushroom Sauce from Cooking Chat
- Skinny Chicken-Leek Pot Pie from The Weekend Gourmet
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Quinoa from Bobbi’s Kosy Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Italian Barley & Sausage from Foxes Loves Lemons
- Tomato Basil Soup with Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwiches from Food Done Light
- Tomato Goat Cheese Arugula Flatbread from Family Foodie
- Easy to be Green Chocolate Chip Cookies from What Smells So Good?
- Fruit Parfait from Desserts Required
- Maple Pear Scones from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Easy Blackberry Crumble from The Perfect Brownie
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
But wait, there’s more. Check out these deliciously, healthy soup recipes: