Slow Cooker Chicken Sloppy Joes is a meal my daughter continuously asks for. I have to say, I do not mind since it is loaded with vegetables. She will happily gobble up the sandwich not even bothering to look at the vegetables inside. I don’t hide the vegetables in this one. There are chunks of them throughout the sandwich. If you child is pickier, cut the vegetables into smaller chunks. I like to keep them a little bigger so they are not “mushy” by the end of cooking. Have you noticed when you cook in a slow cooker that your recipes can be watery and the vegetables mushy? Liquid does not evaporate, so it stays in the pot. The best way to combat watery slow cooker recipes is to reduce the liquid you put in. I also leave the food in larger chunks.
Make sure you have plenty of napkins on hand for this delicious dinner. My daughter actually calls these Messy Joes. They sure are! I served them on my homemade hamburger rolls. You can get the recipe here. I always keep rolls in my freezer. That way I can pull a dinner together in minutes. Sometimes dinner is a sandwich. I am sure you all know that some days, you are lucky to get dinner on the table at all. That is another reason using a slow cooker is so helpful. Make the recipe in the morning, and then no matter what happens the rest of the day, you are set. You can come home to a delicious dinner and a fabulously, fragrant house.
If you want to be sure to see Food Done Light’s next recipe, Oven Baked Coconut Curry Risotto, subscribe by email below. You won’t want to miss it.
Slow Cooker Chicken Sloppy Joes #SundaySupper
- 1 tsp . oil
- 1 lb . ground chicken breast
- 1 1/4 cups chopped red pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 8 oz . chopped mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp . brown sugar
- 2 tbsp . red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp . paprika
- 2 tsp . low-sodium Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp . low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp . Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp . fennel seed
- Dash Hot Sauce
In a large non-stick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
Stir in the ground chicken breast breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Cook until chicken is done. Add to the slow cooker.
Add next four ingredients to the skillet and cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Pour into the slow cooker.
In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients and pour into the slow cooker. Stir well.
Cook on low for 4 hours.
Happy Healthy Eating,
Savory Snacks and Sides:
- Butternut Squash, Black Bean and Spinach Quesadillas by Our Good Life
- Copy Cat: Momma’s Nachos by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cream Cheese and Peach Chutney Pastry Cups by Soni’s Food
- Easy Peasy Cole Slaw by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Fruit & Cheese Platter by The Freshman Cook
- Olive Tapenade by Whole Food | Real Families
- Semi-Homemade Baked Beans by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Smoked Salmon Spread with Sourdough Baguette by A Gouda Life
Labor Free Main Dishes:
- Ace of Clubs by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Easy and Tasty Filet Mignon on the Grill by Family Foodie
- Easy Baked Spaghetti for a Crowd by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Greek Salad Endive Boats by Casa de Crews
- Grilled Butternut Squash, Zucchini and Steak with Chimichurri Sauce by Caroline’s Cooking
- Pesto Chicken with Fennel & Tomato Couscous by Books n’ Cooks
- Simple Cheese Enchiladas by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Simple Shrimp on the Grill by Nosh My Way
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork with Mustard Barbecue Sauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Slow Cooker Turkey Sloppy Joes by Food Done Light
- Smoked Paprika Roast Chicken by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Spicy Thai Noodles by Momma’s Meals
Sweet Treats and Drinks:
- Apple Spice Dump Cake by Palatable Pastime
- Blender Chocolate Mousse by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Blueberry Scones with Citrus Glaze by Eat Picks
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles by What Smells So Good?
- Coconut Martini by Desserts Required
- Creamy Coconut Popsicles by Food Lust People Love
- Easy Strawberry Peach Mascarpone Tart by The Crumby Cupcake
- Mango Salad with Crystallized Ginger by MealDiva
- Mini Pavlovas by Curious Cuisiniere
- Neapolitan Ice Cream Bar by Brunch with Joy
- One Step Vanilla Sauce by Magnolia Days
- White Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffle Bars by Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
But wait, there’s more. Check out these deliciously, low calorie slow cooker recipes: