This post is sponsored by The Beef Checkoff in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
I think Fall is coming. Someone needs to tell the weather that it is time to cool down already. Luckily I have all the delicious fall vegetables in the stores to bring me into the mood. Fall means soups, stews and slow cooking comfort food, a fire in the fireplace, leaves changing colors and a little buzz in the air for the upcoming holidays. So let’s get the slow cooker out and enjoy a slow cooked meal with tender chunks of beef, sweet carrots and bell peppers cradled in a pumpkin, apricot and curry sauce, in other words, Slow Cooker Caribbean Beef Stew. Just because we are talking about cooler weather doesn’t mean we cannot enjoy the flavors of sunshine from the Caribbean.
Most stew recipes I see call for a beef chuck roast. It is a fantastic choice for slow cooking because of all the fat. I often would use it than have to drain a large amount of fat off the top. This time I used a Sirloin Tip Roast also known as Ball Tip Roast, Crescent Roast or Full-trimmed Tip Roast. It is a leaner cut of beef, but was still tender after the low and slow cooking of my slow cooker. If you are unsure what cut of beef that is, go to Beef Checkoff Website to their interactive guide to different cuts of meat. It not only lists different types of cuts, but all the different names you may find them sold under. This was invaluable to me. It seems like every grocery store has their own names for cuts of beef. I get so confused. This is a site I will be going back to time and time again.
When you are cooking in your slow cooker there are some important tips you need to keep in mind. Liquid does not evaporate so you need less of it. You need more spices and flavor, because the flavors are not cooked down and concentrated. Brown your meat. I know it is a pain to have this extra step, but the flavors are well worth it. I really did try this recipe without browning and was not thrilled with the results. Finally add a fresh garnish to the top. Don’t skip this step. Adding a little fresh herbs, citrus and crunch to the top will take your dish from good to great.
Be sure to check out Beef Checkoff website at Beef, It’s What’s for Dinner. I also love their page which can identify all the different types of cuts and find out which ones are best for you. What a cool interactive site. Try it for yourself here. You can also find them on social media, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter. You can also follow Sunday Supper’s Healthy Meals with Beef here. So many delicious ideas.
If you want to be sure to see Food Done Light’s next recipe, Pumpkin Streusel Bread, subscribe by email below. You won’t want to miss it.
Happy Healthy Eating,
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Healthy Plates with Beef
Healthy Plates with Beef
- Beef and Green Beans over Orange Rice by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Beef Short Ribs with Polenta and Sautéed Greens by Whole Food | Real Families
- Beer Braised Beef Brisket by Life Tastes Good
- Beef Stifado by Recipe for Perfection
- Classic Pot Roast with Lemon and Rosemary by MealDiva
- Easy Stovetop Marsala Roast Beef by Family Foodie
- Filet Mignon with Cherry Sauce by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Garlic & Herb Prime Rib with Roasted Potatoes & Beets by Momma’s Meals
- Rosemary Garlic Brisket by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Sauerbraten by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Shank Cut Osso Buco by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Beef Black Bean Chili by Alida’s Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Caribbean Beef Stew by Food Done Light
- Slow Cooker Italian Beef Soup by Meal Planning Magic
- Slow Cooker Steak Fajitas by Daily Dish Recipes
- Spoon Roast with Mushrooms and Farro by Cooking Chat
- Szegediner Gulasch (German Sauerkraut Beef Goulash) by Magnolia Days
- Thai Red Curry with Beef and Butternut Squash by kimchi MOM
- Vietnamese Style Beef Stew by I’m Not the Nanny