Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
Roasted Garlic Onion Dip
Onion dip was always on the menu for our family events. One of my Aunt’s is a particularly picky eater, and that was one of the few dips she would eat. You know the one with the dry onion soup mix? It was at every single family event, even Christmas. I haven’t made it in years but loved the idea of making an onion dip from scratch with real onions. What a novel idea! Why stop with onions though? Why not roast some garlic along with the onions to make a healthy version of a Roasted Garlic and Onion Dip? Yes, please. I do love a good dip. This one I am pairing with Gallo Family Vineyards Merlot. I love a full bodied wine and you need something substantial to stand up to the flavors of roasted garlic and onion in this dip. Merlot always seems like the perfect party wine. It pairs well with most food, especially appetizers and dips.
Christmas Eve in our house is appetizers and Shrimp Bisque Soup along with watching White Christmas. It would not be Christmas Eve without Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye. It seems so romantic to be in a ski lodge for Christmas especially if you see a show of the caliber of Bing Crosby. Can you imagine that? All the women are wearing beautiful dresses and the men look so spiffy in their suits. Beautifully set tables, eating by candle light and the magical sounds of the crooner in the background. Of course, there would be a bottle of Gallo Family Vineyards Merlot on the table to toast to the season. I love this full bodied, smooth wine with hints cherry. If you like a lighter wine, Gallo Family Vineyards Red Moscoto is what you want. It is medium-bodied and sweet. We could sip a glass of wine watching the snow fall and toasting the season. It sounds like the perfect adult Christmas, just like the movies.
Christmas Eve is centered around appetizers and dips, all kinds of finger food. Be still my heart! Since most of my extended family lives in New Jersey, I can enjoy my homemade Roasted Garlic Onion Dip with a glass of wine and think about them. It will be like they are here with us. I know some of them will be having Shrimp Bisque soup, too. That is another Christmas Eve tradition. Maybe I can have a lightened version ready for you next year. What is your favorite Christmas movie? How do you spend your Christmas Eve?
I love the idea of pairing this Roasted Garlic and Onion Dip with Gallo Family Vineyards Merlot. Try the combination at your next cocktail party. For friends that like a sweeter, medium-bodied red wine, they will love Gallo Family Vineyards Red Moscato. Find out how Gallo Family Vineyards likes to give thanks in their blog post. You can find a store near you that sells Gallo Family Vineyards wine here. Connect with Gallo Family Vineyards online – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, You Tube.
Our family is committed to helping Meals on Wheels America to improve the health and quality of life for the seniors they serve. For the sixth year in a row, Gallo Family Vineyards invites Americans to help end senior hunger and isolation with our annual Every Cork Counts™ program. We’re donating $1 for every cork submitted through our website or snail mail. All Gallo Family fans have to do is snap a picture, or send their corks!
If you want to be sure to see Food Done Light’s next recipe, Cucumber Salmon Bites, subscribe by email below. You won’t want to miss it.
Happy Healthy Eating,
- Bacon Pineapple Jalapeño Cheese Ball from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Baked Brie with Cranberries & Almonds from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Best Bar Nuts from Shockingly Delicious
- Lamb Seekh Kebabs from Soni’s Food
- Mediterranean Turkey Pita Bites from Magnolia Days
- Onion Dip from Food Done Light
- Roasted Cranberry Crostini from Recipes, Food and Cooking
- Slow Cooker Queso Blanco with Salsa Verde from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Spicy Shrimp and Roasted Pepper Cheese Crostini from Fearless Dining
- Italian Hoagie Flatbread from Family Foodie
- Roast Duck with Mole Sauce from Curious Cuisiniere
- Seafood Cannelloni from Palatable Pastime
Desserts and Sweets:
- Caramel Bread Pudding from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Chocolate Cups Filled with Cinnamon Pastry Cream and Berries from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chocolate Dipped Cheesecake Bites from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Hazelnut Mousse from Life Tastes Good
- Cranberry Orange Walnut Truffles from Desserts Required
- Cranberry Panna Cotta from The Freshman Cook
- Crustless Pumpkin Pie with Orange Scented Whipped Cream from Recipe for Perfection
- Dark Cherry Chocolate Cheese Danish from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Plus don’t miss the Seasonal Wine Pairing Tips by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.