Without delay, I am presenting you with a fabulous substitute for french fries, Oven Baked Portobello Fries.
My little one just started 3rd grade this week. I find it absolutely crazy they go to school in the horrific heat of August. We live nearby “Hotlanta”. Boy is it a well deserved name. This summer has been excruciatingly hot for days on end. Why would you put kids on a school bus in 96• heat? Then the air conditioning in the school is having to work overtime to cool it. Save some money and start in September, when it will cool down. It is crazy!
On the flip side, I can go back to concentrating on work and Food Done Light. Technically, we still have another six weeks of summer and all those delicious summer vegetables and fruit. Once school starts I automatically think of autumn food. In this case soups, stews and comfort food springs to mind, then I step outside and remember – Oh yeah, heat and humidity are still with us. Get my brain and stomach back to salads and grilling.
As a matter of fact, I think of August as “hump” month. Lots of Halloween, apple and pumpkin recipes are already being pinned on Pinterest, but I still see the luscious summer produce in the stores. As a result this month, you will see a little of both (minus Halloween). We will be celebrating summer vegetables with a divine soup recipe and a grilled salmon slider recipe. After that I will start on apples – yeah! Look for an apple recipe here next. In addition, I also will be concentrating on some quick weeknight recipes over the next month. Don’t worry, I am also getting my slow cooker out since Slow cooker recipes are always the most requested. Stay tuned for a fun month of healthy recipes.
If you want to be sure to see Food Done Light’s next recipe, Granola Apple Nuggets, subscribe by email below. You won’t want to miss it.
Follow me on Pinterest Christie@Food Done Light
Oven Baked Portobello Mushroom Fries
- 2 inch large Portobello mushrooms gills removed, cut into 1/2 slices
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp. panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp Italian spice mix
- 1 tsp smoky sweet paprika
- 3/4 tsp . kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp oil
- 3 tbsp reduced fat sour cream
- 3 tbsp 2% fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp horseradish
- 1/4 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
Preheat the oven to 425*. Place a large baking sheet in the oven while it is preheating.
In a shallow bowl, whisk together eggs and water.
In another shallow bowl, whisk together panko, and next 4 ingredients.
Dip the mushroom slices into the egg. Let the excess drain off.
Dredge in the panko and place on a cutting board.
Pour the oil onto the hot baking sheet and spread to coat evenly.
Place mushrooms onto the baking sheet.
Bake for 10 minutes. Turn the mushrooms over and bake for another 10 minutes.
In a small bowl, mix together ingredients for the horseradish sauce.
I calculated 5 Weight Watcher smart points.
Happy Healthy Eating,
Getting Started On School Days
- Banana and Chocolate Chip Muffins by Caroline’s Cooking
- Caramel Apple Granola by What Smells So Good?
- Chocolate Coconut Granola Bars by Ruffles & Truffles
- Cinnamon Chocolate Overnight Oats by Whole Food | Real Families
- Homemade English Muffins by Busy-at-Home
- Funfetti French Toast by Brunch with Joy
- PB&J Muffins by Sew You Think You Can Cook
Ideas for the Lunchbox
- Healthy Lunchbox Snack Mix by Noshing With The Noland
- Mini Pepperoni Calzones by The Redhead Baker
- Rotisserie Chicken Salad on Croissants by Feed Me, Seymour
- Turkey Bacon Ranch Wrap by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Vietnamese Fresh Spring Rolls by Curious Cuisiniere
After School Snacks and Beverages
- Back to School Cookies by The Freshman Cook
- Fruit ‘n Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola Bites by The Weekend Gourmet
- Healthy Blueberry Peach Oat Bars by Simply Healthy Family
- Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits by An Appealing Plan
- Mocha Chocolate Chip Brownies by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Mother’s Ruin Punch by Food Lust People Love
- “Nut Butter” Rice Crispy Balls by Books n’ Cooks
- Parmesan Crisps Recipe by Life Tastes Good
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Monkey Bread by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Apple Nachos by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Peanut Butter-Nutella Sandwich Cookies by Eat Picks
- Waffle Pizzas by Our Good Life
School Night Suppers
- Beef Peppers and Onions Burritos by Family Foodie
- Grilled Chicken Sandwich by Cooking Chat
- One Pot Bacon-Cheeseburger Pasta by A Gouda Life
- Oven Fried Portabello Mushroom Fries by Food Done Light
- Peanut Chicken Cutlets by Magnolia Days
- Smoked Salmon Ravioli with Cream Sauce by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Turmeric Chicken and Couscous by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Sweets to End the Day
- Devil’s Food Cupcakes with Chocolate Chip Buttercream by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Gluten-Free Almond Joy Cupcakes by NinjaBaker
- Lunchbox Flapjacks by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- M&M Chocolate Chunk Cookies by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Oreo Rice Krispy Treats by The Crumby Cupcake
- Paleo Cherry Blondies by Pies and Plots
- Plum Crumble Bars by Feeding Big
- Stuffed Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? Itâ€™s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement. But wait, there’s more. Check out these deliciously, low calorie baked fries recipes: Eggplant Fries with Garlic Cheese Dip Salt & Vinegar Baked French Fries Apple Crisp Fries