The best Key Lime Pie recipe made without sweetened condensed milk for less sugar content. Egg whites make this key lime pie light and airy.
Pin Key Lime Pie here.
Making a lower calorie pie is always a challenge especially a key lime pie. In the first place, a pie needs to be sweet, hence all the sugar and sweetened condensed milk. Second, key lime pie is often topped with whipped cream. As a result, the pie is loaded with saturated fat. With this in mind, I looked to lighten key lime pie.
I happened to be watching “Dinner at Tiffani’s” and saw her make a grapefruit chiffon pie with egg whites. If she could make a light and airy chiffon pie with grapefruit, then I could do it with Key Limes. Sugar would still have to be reduced, but the basis of the recipe was a sound theory. Egg whites would give me the lift and lightness which whipped cream would normally provide.
Now the issue would be, taste. Would it taste delicious? Would the egg whites overpower the fresh key lime juice? For this reason, it is important you use fresh key lime juice. You must zest your limes and press out the fresh juice. That is an essential step. Additionally add some fresh lime zest to the top of your Key Lime Pie. The pop of flavor from the zest is spectacular.
The result of this recipe, divine! This is key lime pie destined to be your go-to pie for spring and summer parties and potlucks. The texture is so light. This Key Lime Pie is not overly sweet either, resulting in a more refreshing pie. Key Lime Pie is also a no-bake dessert that can easily be made a day ahead. Enjoy a slice of Key Lime Pie for yourself.
To be sure to see Food Done Light’s next recipe, Mu Shu Pork Casserole, subscribe by email below now. You won’t want to miss another recipe again.
Key Lime Chiffon Pie
- 1 reduced fat graham cracker crust
- ¼ cup water
- 1 packet unflavored gelatin
- 4 eggs separated
- ¾ cup sugar divided
- ½ cup fresh key lime juice
- 2 tsp key lime zest
- ½ tsp kosher salt
Pour water into a small bowl and sprinkle gelatin on top.
Let stand until gelatin softens, about 15 minutes.
Create a double boiler by bringing a small pot of water to boil.
Using a medium heatproof bowl (that will fit on top of the small pot of water), whisk together egg yolks and ½ cup sugar.
Add lime juice, zest and salt.
Place bowl on top of the pot of boiling water.
Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens and reaches 170• on an instant read thermometer, about 5 minutes.
Remove bowl from the heat.
Whisk in gelatin until mixture is smooth.
Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a large bowl.
Set aside to cool for 30 to 40 minutes.
Beat egg whites with an electric mixer or stand mixer on medium-low speed until frothy, a few minutes.
Add remaining ¼ cup sugar and increase speed to medium-high. Beat until egg whites form stiff peaks, about 8 minutes.
Gently fold the egg whites into the lime mixture.
Pour into the pie crust.
Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
I calculated 9 Weight Watcher Smart points.
Adapted from Dinner at Tiffanis.
Also find Food Done Light videos on You tube.
Happy Healthy Eating,
Sunday Supper Citrus Recipes That Will Make You Smile
- Chocolate Orange Cinnamon Rolls by Caroline’s Cooking
- Creamy Vanilla-Orange Overnight Oats by A Little Fish in the Kitchen
- Key Lime Muffins with Key Lime Glaze by Family Around The Table
- Lemon Donut Holes by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Lemon Poppy Seed Quick Bread by Pies and Plots
- Lemon Ricotta Pancakes by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Meyer Lemon Olive Oil Muffins by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Tiny Batch Blood Orange Marmalade by What Smells So Good?
- 10 Minute Lemon Pasta With Crispy Basil by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Asian Lemon Chicken by Brunch-n-Bites
- Calamansi Shrimp on Couscous by Asian In America
- Citrus Marinated Chicken Thighs by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Citrus-Glazed Scallops with Chunky Avocado Salsa by The Weekend Gourmet
- Lemon Lime Shrimp Cocktail w/a Citrus Yogurt Dipping Sauce by The Freshman Cook
- Lemon Ricotta Spaghetti with Peas by Cricket’s Confections
- Meyer Lemon Chicken Piccata by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- One Pan Parmesan Lemon Chicken and Asparagus by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Orange Beef by Palatable Pastime
- Easy Instant Pot Orange Chicken by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Skillet Roasted Lemon Chicken by My Savory Spoon
- Slow Cooked Orange Chicken Breasts by Simple and Savory
- Thai Lime Basil Chicken Stir Fry by Wholistic Woman
- Banana Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Clementine Pistachio Pomegranate Upside Down Cake by Sunday Supper Movement
- Easy Japanese Lemon Yuzu Bars by The Ninja Baker
- Key Lime Chiffon Pie by Food Done Light
- Lemon & Blueberry Skillet Cake by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Lemon Key Lime Layer Snack Cakes by Crazed Mom
- Meyer Lemon Creme Brulee by Soulfully Made
- Pink Grapefruit Meringue Tart by Baking Sense
- Sittin’ On a Sandbar Key Lime Pie by Gourmet Everyday
- Starbucks Lemon Loaf Recipe by Life Tastes Good
- The Best Lemon Bars Recipe by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Triple Citrus Macaroon Mascarpone Tart by The Crumby Cupcake
- Triple Lemon Poke Cake by Shaken Together
- Homemade Grapefruit Soda by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pineapple Orange Smoothie by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Ruby Red Mimosa by Our Good Life
- Simple Meyer Lemon Margaritas by My Life Cookbook
- Watermelon Limeade by From the Bookshelf
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Food Done Light is on a mission to keep passion for food but find ways to fit it into a healthy life and hopefully, along the way, change eating habits for good. Healthy living one bite at a time is our motto. You will find heart healthy recipes with Weight Watcher points, and most of all the recipes are delicious. Just ask the Food Done Light family which includes my husband, 10-year-old daughter, Lucy, our 8 yr old Golden Retriever, and Stella, our 13-year-old cat. Find Food Done Light on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and Twitter.