Whip up a deliciously, low calorie dip of avocado, basil pesto and parmesan for a fun twist on guacamole.
Do you watch the Academy Awards? We usually do, although I’ll admit I have not seen a single movie nominated. The extent of my movie watching is limited to Paddington, Frozen and Madagascar. I cannot tell you the last time I went to the movie theater and watched a grown up movie. That is pretty sad. Whenever we get a chance for a date night, we go out for dinner. By the time dinner is over, we don’t want to sit in a movie theater for two hours. Boy we are boring. We don’t even download movies or watch on demand. What happened to us?
I use to love going to the movies. Now it is really expensive. Holy cow, even if you go to a matinée and buy some popcorn, it is like $30. Of course, I tend to forget about that bottle of water I had put in my purse a few days ago. (Wink, wink – who wants to pay $3 for a bottle of water) Even so, I love watching the award shows. Yes, part of it is so cliché, I love seeing the dresses. Who doesn’t want to see gorgeous dresses and dream about wearing one?
Award shows are also an excuse to have delicious “award-winning” food. That means appetizers for us. Yes, those cute little mini bites of food along with a scrumptious dip or two. That is where Italian Guacamole with Pesto and Parmesan comes in. Oh yes, pesto is back. You can read about the “incidental pesto” here. This type of guacamole actually came about because of a grilled guacamole recipe that I love. Of course, it has about 1 cup of olive oil in it. So that is a non-starter.
This guacamole recipe really doesn’t have a lot to do with it other than the parmesan and basil. It was the basil that you fry in oil from the original recipe, that made me think about pesto. That is the kind of thing I love thinking about. You know when I cannot sleep at night, half the time it is because I am thinking about a twist to a recipe. If I come up with something I am really excited about, I keep going over it in my head.
Try this fusion of Mexican and Italian for yourself. It is perfect for award night or any party. People will be surprised by a flavor they weren’t expecting. Italian Guacamole with Pesto and Parmesan will bring you the award for Best Dip.
If you would like to see Food Done Light’s next recipe, Chicken and Dumplings, light comfort food at it’s best, subscribe by email
Are you on Pinterest? Christie@FoodDoneLight
Happy Healthy Eating,
Italian Guacamole with Pesto and Parmesan
- 1/2 cup canned northern beans rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 tbsp basil pesto
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 avocados pit and skin removed
In a food processor, puree the beans, pesto and lemon juice.
Spoon into a bowl.
Add the avocados and mash together. You can make it as chunky or smooth as you like.
Stir well and serve immediately.
Use ripe Haas avocado.
I calculated 2 Weight Watcher SmartPoints for about 2 tbsp
Nominees for Best Supporting Appetizers:
- Beef Sliders with Sautéed Mushrooms, Onions, Bleu Cheese and Bacon by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Black and White Olive Cheese Puffs by Peaceful Cooking
- Cheddar Olives by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Chicken Boursin by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Citrus Avocado Shrimp Cocktail by Seduction in the Kitchen
- French Onion Sliders by Momma’s Meals
- Herbed Butter and Cheese Popcorn by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Italian Guacamole with Pesto by Food Done Light
- Lobster Bruschetta by The Texan New Yorker
- Melon and Prosciutto Skewers by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Cheese Balls by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Moroccan Beef Kefta Briouat by Manu’s Menu
- Mushroom Pate by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Oysters Rockfeller by Noshing With The Nolands
- Pea Pesto Crostini by Ruffles & Truffes
- Prosciutto Wrapped Shrimp by Casa de Crews
- Raspberry Brie Bites by Love and Confections
- Roasted Red Pepper Pinwheels by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Smoked Trout Stuffed Baby New Potatoes by Food Lust People Love
- Spinach Bites by Shockingly Delicious
- Sweet Chili Chicken Skewers by Nosh My Way
Nominees for Best Course in a Leading Role:
- Broccoli Calzones by eating in instead
- Bow Ties and Tails Galore by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chicken Oscar by Palatable Pastime
- Indulgent Lobster-Champagne Risotto by The Weekend Gourmet
- Oscar Worthy Cantonese Lobster with Coconut-Ginger Rice by Confessions of a Culinary Diva
Nominees for Best Supporting Sips:
- Apple Ginger Martini by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Blood Orange Rosemary Spritzer by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Cherry Almond Sparklers by Magnolia Days
- Iced Espresso Martini by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Mixed Berry Martini by The Messy Baker
- Oscartini by Family Foodie
- Red Carpet Sparkler by Rhubarb and Honey
- Thank You Peary Much by Sew You Think You Can Cook
Nominees for Best Delectable Desserts:
- 7-Layer Bark by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Caramel-Almond Latte Ricotta Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Champagne Truffles by Brunch with Joy
- Chocolate Covered Cherries by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Decadent Flourless Brownies by Recipe for Perfection
- Edible Oscars Envelopes by Sunday Supper Movement
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Crumble Peanut Butter Mousse Parfait Cups by Wallflour Girl
- Imitation Game Guinness Brownies by NinjaBaker.com
- Mini Strawberry Galette by Basic N Delicious
- Mini Strawberry & Chocolate Cheesecakes by Happy Baking Days
- No-Bake Nutella Cheesecake Shooters by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Popcorn Puppy Chow by Pies and Plots
- Sweet and Salty Popcorn Ball Bites by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Tuxedo Cake by The Redhead Baker
Nominees for Best Dressed Table:
- DIY Glitter Vases by Sunday Supper Movement
But wait, there is more. Check out these deliciously, low calorie dip recipes: