What is better than turkey, bread and gravy? Hot Brown Turkey Spinach Sandwiches, that’s what! Oh my gosh, they were good. A nice slice of fresh bread, topped with some hot turkey, leftover creamed spinach and gravy that is pumped up with some cheese, ooey, gooey cheese! This is a sandwich among sandwiches.
I love to make up sandwiches with Thanksgiving leftovers. My favorite combination is stuffing, mashed potatoes and turkey with just a little mayo. Yes, pretty much a carb upon carb sandwich with some token turkey thrown in. Then creamed spinach entered the picture and well I said goodbye to my carb sandwich and hello Hot Brown Turkey Spinach Sandwiches. You rule!
If you didn’t make my Creamed Spinach, you can still make this sandwich. Although I have to ask why not? You are missing out. Anyway, just saute a little spinach in a pan with a touch of olive oil, salt and pepper. No worries! You can make my Creamed Spinach another time.
Hot Brown Turkey Spinach Sandwiches (Serves 4)
4 slices whole wheat or multi grain bread
12 ounces leftover turkey, sliced
1 cup leftover creamed spinach, warmed
2 tbsp. light butter
2 tbsp. minced onion
2 tbsp. whole wheat flour
1/2 cup leftover gravy
1/2 cup 2% milk
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
2 ounces 50% reduced fat cheddar cheese
- Toast slices of bread and keep warm.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a small saucepan.
- Add onion and cook until tender.
- Stir in four and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in gravy and milk and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and add salt and pepper. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Whisk in cheese until melted. Turn off the heat.
- Layer 3 ounces of turkey over each piece of toast.
- Spoon on 1/4 cup creamed spinach.
- Top each sandwich with gravy. Dig in!
You can also see this recipe on some of the link parties listed on my Link Party Page