This post is sponsored by the Florida Strawberry Growers Association in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
When you think of a strawberry recipe, do you automatically think of dessert? I never considered strawberries in savory dishes until 13 years ago. My husband and I were in Florence, Italy. We were sitting at a restaurant at the base of a gorgeous castle upon a hill. Trees provided a beautiful canopy over us. It was a fairy tale setting. I saw strawberry risotto on the menu and could not quite wrap my mind around it. I decided to bypass the strawberry risotto and have pasta. A foursome came and sat near us and all ordered the strawberry risotto. They were ohhing and awwing over each and every single bite. My pasta was good but not something I was going crazy for. I could have kicked myself for not having the strawberry risotto. It became the dish that got away.
Finally a few years ago I made it for Food Done Light. You can find the recipe here. It was amazing, everything I had hoped it would be. From that point on, strawberries became the perfect ingredient for a savory dish. I even poached Salmon in a strawberry Thai sauce. Here is the recipe. Last Spring break when we visited my grandparents, my Grandmother had picked out a recipe for Chicken with Strawberry BBQ sauce. It was quite a bit of work but delicious. She served it with a lemon mint rice. We all realized we had mixed the rice and chicken together. It was the perfect combination. That is how the idea for Healthy One Pot Chicken Strawberry Paella came about.
The only problem with making this recipe is that my daughter will try to devour every single strawberry before it is made. My solution is to buy an extra pint so she can happily snack on some while I am cooking. Strawberries are a healthy snack I am always happy for her to enjoy. Florida Strawberries don’t just add sweetness to savory dishes, they add fantastic flavor. They are also incredibly healthy. 8 gorgeous ruby Florida Strawberries have your full daily requirement of Vitamin C and are under 50 calories with 3 grams of fiber. I also love that Florida Strawberries are in season during the holidays. That gorgeous ruby-red color is perfect for making your dishes festive. You can find lots of recipes on the Florida Growers Association website Strawberry Sue.
If you love strawberries as much as I do, you will want to enter Fl Strawberries and SundaySupper’s Instagram contest.
To Enter you simply need to share a photo featuring a strawberry using the hashtag #FLStrawberry and you could win a $100, $50, or $25 gift card. The Contest runs from 12/27/15 – 01/17/16. Winners will be chosen at random and announced during the LIVE #SundaySupper Twitter Party on 01/17/16. Participants must be US resident 18 years of age or older. This promotion is not sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Instagram
Be sure to follow Florida Strawberry on Social Media:
- Florida Strawberry on Facebook @FlaStrawberry
- Florida Strawberry on Twitter @FlaStrawberries
- Florida Strawberry on Instagram @flastrawberries
- Florida Strawberry on Pinterest @Flastrawberries
- Strawberry Sue on YouTube
- Strawberry Sue on Twitter @flstrawberrysue
If you want to be sure to see Food Done Light’s next recipe, Best of 2015 Food Done Light Savory Recipes, subscribe by email below. You won’t want to miss it.
Happy Healthy Eating,
Strawberries for Starters
- Crispy Strawberry and Brie Bites by Ruffles & Truffles
- Strawberry Balsamic Chicken Flatbread by The Crumby Cupcake
- Strawberry Basil Goat Cheese Ball by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Strawberries for Breakfast
- Creamy Strawberry Chia Seed Avocado Smoothie by An Appealing Plan
- Fresh Strawberry Breakfast Parfait by The Freshman Cook
- Strawberry Balsamic Frittata by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Strawberry Bread by Desserts Required
- Strawberry Breakfast Cake by Recipe for Perfection
- Strawberry French Toast Kabobs by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Strawberry Guacamole & Bacon Toast by I’m Not the Nanny
Strawberries for Lunch
- Strawberry-Poppyseed Chicken Salad Sandwiches by Casa de Crews
- Venison Street Tacos by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Strawberry Brie Flatbread Salad by Family Foodie
- Strawberry Caprese Salad by Life Tastes Good
Strawberries for Dinner
- Balsamic Pork Salad with Strawberries and Goat Cheese by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Healthy One Pot Chicken Strawberry Paella by Food Done Light
- Pecan Chicken with Strawberry Chipotle Salsa by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Quinoa with Salmon and Strawberries by Cooking Chat
- Strawberry BBQ Meatballs by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Strawberry Risotto by Magnolia Days
Plus don’t miss Delicious Strawberry Ideas and Sweet Recipes by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.