Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC for these Grilled Salmon Sliders. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
Pin Grilled Salmon Sliders here.
Labor Day weekend usually signifies a romantic weekend away with my husband for our anniversary. We don’t plan BBQ’s or picnic. We usually head to Asheville and enjoy a couple of fun-filled days together. This year we will be inundated with family and friends, who are coming to help us celebrate our daughter’s Navjote. It is a coming of age ceremony, similar to a Bar Mitzvah, in my husband’s religion. In fact it is a big deal, and I am feeling the pressure. The prayer ceremony lasts about 45 minutes to an hour. After that there is a cocktail hour. and then dinner and dancing, a mini version of a wedding ceremony. The stress is really starting to get to me. I am in the middle of seating charts, oh joy!
It is amazing how political that can become. I’m trying to keep track of the vendors, and when final payments are needed and most of all, keeping on budget. Then there is cleaning the house, getting the guest rooms ready, cooking, figuring out time to sightsee and get all the last minute things done.In addition my husband wanted to include dinner for 27 the night before and a BBQ for the same number on Monday. Ah hello, do you want my head to explode? My parents stepped in and are hosting dinner Saturday night. I have no idea when I am going to have time to cook for a BBQ on Labor Day itself.
My husband is the type that thrives on having loads of people around, and we will have many people coming from out-of-town. I am looking forward to seeing them too. What he fails to understand is that I won’t see or enjoy having them over, because I will be too busy cooking, cleaning, etc. He says he will help, it will be easy! Ha! I know my husband, once he starts talking he does not stop. Furthermore, He will forget everything he is supposed to do and just enjoy talking to his friends and family.
He will have a great time and every will fall to me. His cousin called last night and somewhat firmly told him to stop piling on work for me to do. Luckily he listens to her and came to me after the phone call and agreed to all the decisions I had made. Thank you Neena.
Even though I am whining about the work, I am looking forward to it. I love to dance. Although I probably never shared that about myself. I am a dancing machine at parties. Wearing a Sari may put a little damper on my moves, but I plan on getting down. Oh and the food, lots of Indian food is on the menu. The Chef at the club absolutely knocked it out of the park at the tasting. The food was phenomenal. I will be recreating some of his recipes. He made a scrumptious Southern twist on an Indian dish using buttermilk instead of coconut milk.
It was outrageously good. Plus we only see my in-laws every couple of years as they live in Singapore. Being together is very special. The other part I really like is learning about the ceremony itself. This is a ceremony that is thousands of years old. I love reading about the symbolism for all the items needed on the Seis, a silver tray carried to the stage for the prayers. There is rice, coconut, and much more.
So with all of that I have to plan a Labor Day BBQ, too. We will need food and wine. Gallo Family Vineyards would be perfect for the occasion. I recently had their Sweet White Blend and Cafe Zinfandel. I loved the light, crisp and sweet flavor of the Cafe Zinfandel. It would pair perfectly with spicy food. That is how Grilled Salmon Sliders with Strawberry Jalapeno Cream Cheese and Basil Aioli was born. I had eaten a strawberry jalapeno aioli on a salmon sandwich somewhere. I loved the mix of heat and sweetness.
The wine immediately made me think of it. Then what goes well with salmon? Bagels and cream cheese, of course. I had my recipe with the addition of another layer of flavor, a quick basil aioli. It might be a little unorthodox but the sliders look pretty and taste even better. Sip a little Gallo Family Vineyards wine and enjoy a salmon slider this Labor Day.
You can find more information on Gallo Family Vineyards and Labor Day entertaining here. Find a store near you that sells Gallo Wine here. You can follow Gallo Family Vineyards on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and You Tube.
If you want to be sure to see Food Done Light’s next recipe, Broccoli Cheese Quiche, subscribe by email below. You won’t want to miss it.
Happy Healthy Eating,
Salmon Bagel Sliders with Strawberry Jalapeno Cream Cheese and Basil Aioli
- 1/3 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 jalapeno , roasted, seeds and membrane removed
- 4 oz . Greek yogurt cream cheese , softened
- 2 tbsp . reduced fat mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp . 2% fat plain Greek yogurt
- 6 basil leaves , roughly chopped
- 1 lb . salmon , cut into 8
- 1/2 tsp . kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp . fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp . garlic powder
- 8 mini whole wheat bagels , toasted
- 4 leaves lettuce , cut in half
- 8 small tomato slices
In a small food processor, puree the strawberries, jalapeno and cream cheese.
Spoon into a bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Clean out the food processor then puree the mayonnaise, yogurt and basil.
Oil or spray the grates of a grill pan.
Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat.
Sprinkle salt, pepper and garlic over the salmon.
Cook the salmon for 2 minutes per side.
Spread about 1 tbsp. strawberry cream cheese on each bagel.
Place a piece of lettuce and tomato on top.
Top with salmon and 1 to 2 tsp. basil mayonnaise.
Place the top of the bagel on the salmon and serve.
I calculated 7 Weight Watcher Smartpoints.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? Itâ€™s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
For your Labor Day feast:
- Arugula Fig and Goat Cheese Salad by Family Foodie
- Caprese Fruit Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Salad by The Crumby Cupcake
- Five Fruity Wine Spritzers by Sunday Supper Movement
- Grilled Flank Steak Pinwheels by Palatable Pastime
- Grilled Shrimp Burgers with Quick Remoulade Sauce by The Weekend Gourmet
- Hatch Chile Avocado Cream Dip by Magnolia Days
- Harissa Spiced Chicken Kabobs by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Mango Habanero Shrimp Flatbread by Flavor Mosaic
- Peach Barbecue Chicken Wings by Life Tastes Good
- Salmon Bagel Sliders with Strawberry Jalapeno Cream Cheese and Basil Aioli by Food Done Light
- Sunny Side Up Frittata with Ham by Recipe For Perfection
- Tuscan Panzanella Salad by Shockingly Delicious
To sweeten the holiday:
- Blackberry Buckle by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Chocolate Strawberry Cream Puff Bites by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Hasty Chocolate Pudding by Nosh My Way
- Raspberry Lamingtons by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Raspberry Upside Down Cake by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Summer Fruit Tart by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Tropical Angel Food Cake by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Vanilla Bean Roasted Peaches by Alida’s Kitchen