Get out the slow cooker without delay and have a deliciously, healthy taste of Mexico with low calorie, low fat Chicken Enchilada Quinoa Bake.
Pin Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Quinoa Bake here.
Today I am joining Sunday Suppers to bring you heart healthy recipes for Heart month. If you follow Food Done Light, you know that this is a cause near and dear to me heart. (Pun intended) To begin with, my husband had a heart attack a few years ago. He was 46 years old at the time, and he wasn’t overweight. He has never smoked, but it still happened. If you want to read about the day he had his heart attack, I go through that fateful day in this post. As a result, that was the day everything changed.
I know some of you are probably thinking “Yeah, yeah! It won’t happen to me.” On the contrary, have you seen the recent statistics? I heard recently that 1 in 3 women die from heart disease. If you think about it, that means potentially either your grandmother, mother or sister. When you think about it those terms, it makes it much more of a reality. In my husbands case, we knew it would happen some day. His mother died during a botched angiogram. His Dad has had multiple heart surgeries and is happily going strong. Due to his genetics, it was going to happen. In spite of that, we were not prepared.
Even though I started Food Done Light to help me deal with my own issues with food and to lose weight, before I ended up with some sort of medical condition because of it, the result of his heart attack has taken me in a different direction. It is ironic that it was his medical condition that has really come to define Food Done Light. It has been my outlet to talk about heart disease and the fear of losing the man I love and the Daddy my daughter so dearly loves. By sharing my experiences, fears and stresses, I’ve heard from so many of you that are in the same boat. I was able to see that I was not alone. Surprisingly Food Done Light became a way for me to receive support and give support. What a gift!
So even though I really, really want to preach to you about heart health, I am not going to. What I am going to ask, is that you think about what your life would be like without the ones you love. Then think about what their lives would be like without you. Truly think about it. By not taking care of your health, you may not only harm your heart but you may break the hearts of the ones you love. We were lucky that my husband has survived and is healthy. Now by taking care of his heart, he not only prolongs his life but he safeguards our hearts and the love we hold in them for him.
Please learn more about heart disease and visit the American Heart Associations website before something happens. You can learn about the warning signs and symptoms. In my husband’s case, he did not have chest pain. We did have a warning that we did not see. Also learn about ways to keep yourself healthy. After all the ones that love you want you around for a long time. Protect their heart as well as your own. Pretty, please!
If you want to be sure to see Food Done Light’s next recipe, Pesto Rice Spaghetti Pilaf, subscribe by email below. You won’t want to miss it.
Follow me on Pinterest Christie@Food Done Light
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Quinoa Bake
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Quinoa Bake (Low Calorie, Low Fat)
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup enchilada or taco meat sauce
- 1 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 16 oz frozen broccoli thawed, optional
Rinse the quinoa well and place on the bottom of the slow cooker.
Top with onions and mushrooms.
Pour the enchilada sauce and broth on top.
Sprinkle both sides of chicken with chili powder, salt and pepper.
Add the chicken on top.
Cook on low for 4 hours.
Take out the chicken and slice.
Add the chicken back to the slow cooker and top with broccoli.
Cook on low 30 minutes.
I calculated 10 Weight Watcher smart points for a large serving.
Happy Healthy Eating,
Better for you breakfasts:
- Apple Pie Oatmeal by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Asparagus and Goat Cheese Omelet by The Redhead Baker
- Chocolate Oatmeal Scones by Brunch with Joy
- Create-Your-Own Overnight Oatmeal by Rhubarb and Honey
- Honey-Banana Almond Butter Smoothie by The Messy Baker
- Orange, Mango, Lime & Ginger Smoothie by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Pear Bran Muffins by Magnolia Days
- Stovetop Fruit & Honey Granola by What Smells So Good?
Jump start your health with these appetizers:
- Almond Crusted Chicken Nuggets by Momma’s Meals
- Chipotle Black Bean Dip by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Lemon Aioli with Spring Vegetables by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Mala Baked Tofu Bites by Palatable Pastime
Soups that’ll win your heart:
- Asian Soba Noodle Broth Bowl by Hip Foodie Mom
- Kale, Spinach, and Bean Soup by Ruffles & Truffles
- Mushroom Quinoa Soup by Pies and Plots
- Quinoa Chickpea Soup with Roasted Garlic & Veggies by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Turkey and Black-Eyed Peas Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Veggies, Sides, & Salads your heart will thank you for:
- Collard Greens with Cumin and Paprika by Nik Snacks
- Grilled Salmon Caesar Salad by Casa de Crews
- Kale Roasted Beet Salad with Honey Balsamic Dressing by Noshing with the Nolands
- Lightened-Up Creamed Spinach au Gratin by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Teriyaki Green Beans and Mushrooms by NeighborFood
- Salmon Salad Niçoise by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Seasoned Spinach & Bok Choy by Nosh My Way
- Spinach Berry Salad by Country Girl in the Village
- Sweet & Smokey Cauliflower Salad by Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Winter Citrus Salad with Avocado-Basil Dressing by Foxes Love Lemons
- Parmesan Pistachio Kale Chips by The Texan New Yorker
- Sprouted Buckwheat Blackberry Banana Bread by Simply Healthy Family
Healthy is the center of attention in these main courses:
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Celeriac Noodles with Mushroom Ragu by The Joyful Foodie
- Cilantro-Lime Grilled Chicken with Avocado-Corn Salsa by The Weekend Gourmet
- Curried Cauliflower Rice and Chicken by The Dinner-Mom
- Gluten Free Roasted Chicken and Kale by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Heart Healthy Salmon Bento by The Ninja Baker
- Lemony Grilled Chicken by Peaceful Cooking
- Moroccan Salmon Tagine by Curious Cuisiniere
- Olive Oil-Poached Salmon with Pickled Cherry Salsa by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- One Pot Mexican Quinoa by Having Fun Saving
- Oven Baked Tilapia Tacos by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Piperies Yemistes me Pligouri – Bulgur Stuffed Peppers by Food Lust People Love
- Salmon with Mango Salsa by Cooking Chat
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Quinoa Bake by Food Done Light
- Sweet & Smokey Cauliflower Salad by Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Vegetable and Ginger Congee by eating in instead
- Vegetarian Cuban-Style Black Beans & Rice by MealDiva
- White Bean, Corn, Tomato and Rice Skillet by Family Foodie
Staying healthy doesn’t mean giving up desserts!
- Baked Figs with Vanilla and Honey by Happy Baking Days
- Caramelized Pear Tart by PancakeWarriors
- Cherry-Blueberry Trifles by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
We heart wine.
- Wine Pairing Recommendations for Heart Healthy #SundaySupper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper