Use up leftover ham in this easy, quick weeknight meal, Black Pepper Fried Rice with Ham. It is a healthy dinner everyone will love.
I feel like I sneaked one past my family with this one. I used brown rice. They always thumb up their nose at brown rice. I, on the other hand, love brown rice. It tastes a little nutty, and I love that. Thanks to the soy sauce, fried rice would be brown anyway. So they had no clue. Score one for Mommy. Fried rice is a natural with leftover ham. The only question was what type of fried rice. We have a fairly authentic Chinese restaurant near us, and we have slowly been working our way through their large selection of fried rice. Some are pretty normal like this one. Others have gravy and different mixtures of seafood. I had no idea there were so many different varieties of fried rice. My favorite is one loaded with pepper, so that is what I went with.
You don’t need any special ingredients. Soy sauce, fresh garlic and fresh ginger flavor this fried rice, of course, with a big heaping of fresh ground black pepper. Real Chinese cooks would never even consider using black pepper in a white dish. They would use white pepper, but I don’t have any. Why buy a bottle of white pepper that will sit in my pantry for years? I’ll just use black pepper. I don’t mind if you see specks of pepper in it. Call me a rebel, but black specks of pepper in my fried rice is fine with me.
The best part of fried rice is how quick it is. Normally I am not the type of person to mise en place (get all the ingredients ready before cooking). I like to multi-task and cut some vegetables while others are sauteing. Are you like that too? Even if it drives you nuts, don’t do that for a stir fry. Stir fries are so quick, you need to have everything ready. If you are chopping the ham while cooking the vegetables, you will burn the vegetables. Whoops! Bite the bullet and have everything cut up and ready before you start stir frying. The other must of a stir fry is a scorching hot wok. We have a huge, heavy cast-iron one. This sucker gets seriously hot. That is what you want. You want to feel the heat radiate from the wok. So get your wok on and enjoy an easy and quick, oh and don’t forget healthy, weeknight dinner.
If you want to be sure to see Food Done Light’s next recipe, Grilled Pineapple Mango Salsa, subscribe by email below. You won’t want to miss it.
Adapted from Peppery Vegetarian Rice Happy Healthy Eating,
- Bacon and Sriracha Deviled Eggs by Casa de Crews
- Buffalo Blue Cheese Deviled Eggs by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Jalapeño Cilantro Deviled Eggs by Our Good Life
- Rissole by Brunch with Joy
- Savory Basque Tart by Food Lust People Love
Breakfast and Brunch
- Breakfast Burritos by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Breakfast Enchiladas by Curious Cuisiniere
- Gluten-Free Ham Spinach & Gruyère Quiche by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Ham and Egg Hash by Whole Food | Real Families
- Matzo Brei Pancakes by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Savory Ham and Scallion Corn Cakes by The Weekend Gourmet
- Black Pepper Fried Brown Rice with Ham by Food Done Light
Cajun Hambalaya by Palatable Pastime
- Cal-Mex Avocado and Egg Salad by eating in instead
Chunky Healthy Egg Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
Ham Fried Rice by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Kimchi Fried Rice by Wallflower Girl
Pan-Fried Ham with Okra and Red-Eye Gravy by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Salmon, Asparagus and Capers Panini by Family Foodie
Soups and Salads
- Ham and Corn Chowder by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Southern Ham Macaroni Salad by Magnolia Days
- Split Pea and Ham Slowcooker Soup by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Apple Blueberry Flip Flop by Recipe for Perfection
Brownies with Kentucky Bourbon and Chocolate Mint Ganache by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Cadbury Egg Stuffed Croissants by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cheese and Pineapple Bread Pudding by Basic N Delicious
- Easter Candy Bark by Pies and Plots
- Easter Candy Brownie Cookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peanut Butter Brownie No Bake Cheesecake by Recipes, Food and Cooking
Peanut Butter Chocolate Matzo S’mores by Desserts Required
- Sunshine Cake by The Ninja Baker