Fresh and fluffy, strawberry mousse fills a chocolate, graham cracker crust in this deliciously, healthy, low fat pie.
Strawberry Mousse Pie is the perfect dessert for a BBQ or potluck. It is light and refreshing and full of fresh strawberry flavor. What could be better than that? Like so many of my recipes, the idea for this one came from something else. My absolute favorite cake in the world is from TooJays, Banana Dream Cake. Toojays is a fantastic deli in Florida. It is something I really miss. We don’t have any decent delis by us. So sad.
Anyway Toojay’s Banana Dream Cake has the most delicious banana cream filling. I have been wanting to try to replicate this cake for my birthday. The cake part is easy as is the chocolate ganache. The issue is the banana cream filling. It is so smooth and creamy but they manage to get a nice thick layer in the cake without it spilling over the sides. I’ve been thinking about a way to make that filling and came up with an idea. Since strawberries are in season, I tried it with strawberries. It worked fantastically.
It was as simple as using a little plain gelatin. Gelatin is another one of those ingredients that seemed so foreign to me. It is so silly how an ingredient can seem so strange or hard to use when in fact it is really simple, kind of like yeast. Does the thought of yeast make you quiver? Once you get the hang of where and when to use it, it is so simple. The mousse filling really holds up nicely in the pie. It has great texture from the added bits of strawberries.
If you are looking for a healthy dessert, this Strawberry Mousse Pie is perfect. Grab a slice and stay tuned some time around August I hope to have perfected my recipe for a lightened Banana Dream Cake.
If you want to be sure to see Food Done Light’s next recipe, Greek Layered Cheese Spread, subscribe by email below. You won’t want to miss it.
Follow me on Pinterest Christie@Food Done Light
- 16 oz strawberries, divided
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 package of knox plain gelatin
- 2 tbsp. cold water
- 1 cup 0% fat Greek Yogurt
- 4 oz. lite Cool Whip
- 40 chocolate graham crackers (about 10 sheets)
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 large egg white
- Preheat oven to 350º. Spray a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray.
- In a food processor, pulse crackers until crumbly. Add butter and egg white and pulse until just moist.
- Pour crumbs into the pie plate and press crumbs into the bottom and up the side. I like to use a flat cup to help pack the crumbs into place.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Then place on a wire rack and cool completely.
- In a food processor, puree half of the strawberries. Chop the other half.
- In a small saucepan over medium high heat, stir together strawberry puree, sugar and gelatin. Bring to a boil then remove from heat.
- Stir in cold water and set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped strawberries and yogurt.
- Stir in gelatin mixture.
- Fold in Cool Whip.
- Pour strawberry mousse into the pie crust and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
But wait, there’s more. Check out these deliciously, healthy pie recipes: