Whip up Strawberry Banana Baked Oatmeal for a healthy breakfast. It is heart healthy and easy.
Yes, another baked oatmeal recipe! I know I just did one but this one, Strawberry Banana Baked Oatmeal, is a little different. The Cranberry Vanilla Baked Oatmeal is a little more tart because of the cranberries. Strawberry Banana Baked Oatmeal is sweeter. I could eat it for dessert! Don’t worry it is not too sweet though.
The reason I picked this one for Valentine’s Day is because it is truly made with LOVE! I’m going to get a little mushy now. As you all know, my husband had a heart attack last year. We have been through so many ups and downs since then. We changed cardiologists which has proven to be the best decision we have made. He figured out that what we thought was a little mitro valve problem with my husband’s heart is actually a large problem. He referred us to a surgeon who specializes in this type of repair. We are very lucky that Atlanta has a first-rate hospital, St. Josephs, and doctors that specialize in robotic repair. My husband will have his repair done in the beginning of March. I’ll talk more about that in a few weeks as it will impact Food Done Light. I do have a plan thanks to some good “Food Blogging” friends.
Anyway, one of the things I can do to help my husband is make sure he has heart healthy food to eat. I have been on a mission to make breakfast healthy and quick. He usually grabs something as he is walking out the door. Baked Oatmeal has really turned out to be a fantastic option. To keep boredom at bay, I have been making different flavors. This was my favorite of the new flavors! It really makes me feel good to be able to help him in this small way. I feel like Strawberry Banana Baked Oatmeal is a little love note to him each morning and reminds him how much he has to live for. I am so proud of the way he has changed his eating habits and increased his exercise. He is a true inspiration!
Pinterest fan? Follow Food Done Light here.
Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the button on all my recipes! Create a Meal Plan with your ”favorite” recipes and the ingredients will automatically be added to your own Grocery List!
- 2 cups uncooked old fashioned oats (you can use quick cooking)
- ¼ cup wheat bran
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and cut into quarters
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1½ cups almond, coconut, soy or fat-free milk
- 2 over ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. light butter, melted
- ¼ cup egg substitute or equivalent to 1 egg
- ¼ cup real maple syrup or agave
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spray 8 inch square pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, wheat bran, baking powder, strawberries, cinnamon and salt.
- In another medium bowl, mix together remaining ingredients.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry and make sure it is fully incorporated.
- Pour batter into the pan. Stir to make sure strawberries are evenly distributed in the pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
But wait, there’s more. Check out these deliciously, healthy breakfast recipes: