Roasted Banana Filled Banana Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache are a lower calorie and low fat delicious dessert. Make them for a healthy birthday or celebration.
I have to admit this is a very self-indulgent recipe post for me. Tomorrow is my birthday and this is what I want for my birthday cake, Banana Cupcakes filled with Roasted Banana Pudding and Chocolate Ganache. It makes me giddy to think about these little gems. This all came about because of my favorite cake from Toojay’s Deli. It is their Banana Dream Cake. It is a moist banana cake with a banana pudding filling, chocolate ganache and chocolate frosting. Just thinking about this cake makes my taste buds tingle. Sadly, there are no locations near us. So for years, I have thought about making this cake. I promised myself I would make a lightened version for my birthday. Yes, I like to make my own birthday cake! This time I decided to make cupcakes. If I make a cake, I will eat the whole cake. If I make cupcakes, I can freeze them. That works for me.
I am in love, in love with these cupcakes. I love the little surprise of supreme banana flavor when you bit into the cupcake and get some of the moist, delicious banana cake and the creamy banana pudding filling. We cannot forget the draping of chocolate ganache and the nuttiness of walnuts. What a perfect combination. It is the best way to celebrate a birthday, other than celebrating with your loved ones, of course! Birthdays got so much better when I could hear my little one singing Happy Birthday to me.
Having a little one really does make birthday’s special all over again. She wanted to go for a walk with Daddy the other day so they could make a plan for my Birthday. She will run into our room in the morning and snuggle up to me for her daily back rub and say Happy Birthday. She will, of course, open all cards and presents. She is quite the expert. My parents will come over and we will have dinner and cake. It’s the perfect way to spend a birthday.
Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the button on all my recipes! Create a Meal Plan with your ”favorite” recipes and the ingredients will automatically be added to your own Grocery List!
- 2 mashed over-ripe bananas
- 1 cup all –purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg white, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup nonfat Greek yogurt, divided
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 ripe bananas
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp. cornstarch
- ⅛ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ cup So Delicious Coconut Cream or Soy Creamer*
- 2 tbsp. egg substitute
- ½ tbsp. light butter
- ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. banana extract, optional
- *So Delicious creamer has less fat and calories than a soy creamer. The soy creamer is easier to find.
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 2 to 3 tbsp. fat-free milk
- 2 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- ⅓ cup chopped Walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place cupcakes wrappers in a 12-cup muffin tin or if making 15, use 2 muffin tins.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together sugar, butter and 2 tbsp. yogurt until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining yogurt, buttermilk, mashed bananas, egg, egg white and vanilla.
- Add ⅓ of flour mixture to bowl of stand mixer. Mix until just combined. Add half of the wet mixture. Repeat with flour mixture, wet mixture and end with flour. Mix until just combined.
- Fill wrappers about ½ full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Be sure to rotate cupcakes half way through especially if you are making 15.
- Place muffin tin on a wire rack and cool for 5 minutes.
- Place cupcakes directly on wire rack and cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place bananas in their skin on a baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Remove bananas from their skin and place in a food processor. Puree.
- In a medium saucepan, stir together sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Gradually whisk in coconut or soy creamer and egg substitute until smooth.
- Place saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring continuously.
- Once at a boil, turn off the heat and stir in the butter and vanilla and banana extract, if using.
- Transfer to a heat resistance bowl and fold in the banana puree.
- Place bowl of custard into an ice bath (A large bowl filled with ice) and let cool to room temperature, about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Place plastic wrap directly on top of the custard. Refrigerate until fully cold.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cocoa, dark cocoa and milk. Turn heat to medium and bring liquid to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Once at a boil, stir constantly and cook for 1 minute.
- Take saucepan off the heat and stir in chopped chocolate. Stir until the ganache is smooth.
- Using a small paring knife, push knife into cupcake about ¼ to ½ inch from the edge at a 45 angle.
- Cut about 1 inch down into the cupcake and move the knife cutting a circle out of the top of the cupcake. Pull off the top. It should look a little like a pyramid. From the lid of the cupcake, cut off about ½ inch from it. Do not throw away or eat the leftover cupcake.
- Place lid back on top of the cupcake while you cut the rest.
- Remove the top from a cupcake and place 1 tbsp. of banana filing into the cupcake. Place top back on. Repeat with remaining cupcakes. (you will have a little extra filing if making 12)
- Crumble the leftover cupcake caps into a small bowl and mix with chopped walnuts.
- With a small spatula, spread ganache over a cupcake and dip cupcake into crumble/walnut mixture. Do not pack it on.
- Repeat with remaining cupcakes. If the ganache becomes too stiff, put pot back over low heat and gently heat chocolate, stirring constantly.
If you make 15 cupcakes - Calories 238 Fat 7 grams Carbs 41 grams Fiber 3 grams Protein 4 grams
But wait, there’s more. Check out these deliciously, light cakes perfect for a birthday: