Jalapeno Cheese Bread is a no-knead whole wheat bread that will have you making homemade bread all the time.
When I first started making bread, I was totally intimidated about kneading bread. I had bought the book “Artisan Bread in 5 minutes” and started that way. Then I tried the recipe from Le Creuset to cook in a dutch oven. Both recipes were fantastic. I ended up taking aspects of both and making my own Jalapeno Cheese Bread.
Over the summer, my husband planted a jalapeno plant. This little plant gave us more jalapeno then we could use. I had to come up with some new recipes so I threw it in the bread. It was delicious. It became our go to bread. My husband could easily wipe out a loaf of bread a day. He loves bread so it makes me happy to make it for him. I love that I don’t have to knead this bread but that does mean it needs to be made way ahead of time. No knead recipes are great but the dough tends to need a lot of time to rise.
This bread is really simple and a great one to try if you haven’t made bread before. Really the hardest part is figuring out how much flour your dough needs. The thing about flour is that you can need a different amount each day. On humid days you may need more. Cold days less. It also depends how you measure it. That is why I ALWAYS suggest you weigh it. If 5 people measured out 1 cup of flour, they would all measure a different amount. Flour is finicky. That is another plus for these no knead breads. I find the dough more forgiving.
As for the cooking vessel, I really like to use a dutch oven. You can use any large oven proof pot that has a lid. This type of bread really reminds me of a European bread. It has a great crust and some chew to the bread. This bread is fantastic toasted for breakfast or just cut off a couple of slices for a sandwich. If you are like my husband, then just cut off a piece whenever you happen to be in the kitchen or feel the need. Once you make this bread, you will be doing it again and again.
If you want to be sure to see Food Done Light’s next recipe, Apple Pear Crumble, subscribe by email below. You won’t want to miss it.
Follow me on Pinterest Christie@Food Done Light
- 1½ cups lukewarm water (100-110°)
- ¾ tbsp. instant yeast
- ¾ tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup (120 grams) whole wheat flour, extra for dusting
- 2½ cups (270 grams) unbleached, all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (2 oz) cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed, sliced very thinly
- In a large bowl or food container with a lid, mix the yeast, salt and water.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix in wheat flour, all-purpose flour, cheese and jalapeno until fully combined.
- Cover and allow to rest at room temperature for at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Flour a work surface and flour the top of the dough in the container.
- Flour your hands then take out the dough. Form the dough into a ball by stretching the sides down and under the bottom. Place onto the floured work surface. Allow to rest while the oven and pot are heating.
- Preheat oven to 450°. Once the oven is at temperature, place lid onto the dutch oven and place into the oven, Heat for 30 minutes.
- Carefully take the dutch oven out (IT IS VERY HOT, USE OVEN MITTS). Take the lid off and carefully place the dough on the bottom of the pot. Put your oven mitts back on and put the lid on.
- Place the pot into the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Take the lid off and cook for another 15 minutes or until internal temperature is 190°.
- Remove pot from the oven. Take bread out of the pot and place directly on a wire rack. Allow to cool completely before slicing. We get 16 slices out of this bread.
But wait, there’s more. Check out these deliciously healthy bread recipes: