Forget waiting for dough to rise, mix up Herb Spoon rolls in a bowl and bake. That is it, quick, easy, rolls filled with fresh herbs.
I love to make quick little rolls or biscuits to have for dinner. They can elevate leftover soup to a whole other level. I had seen these lovely herbaceous rolls in a Southern Living Magazine and loved all the lovely fresh herbs in them. I also loved that they used yeast but did not need to rise for long. Rolls like this are a great way to get use to using yeast if you haven’t before. They only rise for 5 minutes then the quick acting yeast does the rest of the work in the oven. That is so less intimidating than having to rise for an hour, punch down the dough then rise again. In fact these were so easy that my daughter made them.
I didn’t need to do much to “healthify” these rolls. I swapped out some of the all-purpose flour for whole wheat flour and some of the butter for non-fat Greek Yogurt. Presto! Herb Rolls. The great thing about these rolls is that you can make them your own. You can put in whatever fresh herbs you have. I always have cilantro on hand so that was a no brainer for me. I usually have green onions too. We grow thyme and rosemary so I will throw those in from time to time.
I love that my daughter likes to cook. She has become quite a good cook and I am trying to figure out what I can let her make and what she is not quite ready for. She can make scrambled eggs (with supervision) but she does that all herself. I recently wanted to make candied walnuts and she made them also. I was making a souffle and she wanted to help. So I had her at the stove mixing the sauce when she yells at me that the sauce is ready. It seemed to quick to me so I told her to stir a little more and she said “No Mommy, it’s ready”. Sure enough she was right. The sauce had thickened and was done! I am hoping that by allowing her to help cook healthy food, she will remain slim and healthy over her lifetime and not have my struggle with weight. Fingers & toes are crossed! So go grab your little one and make these Spoon Herb Rolls together. I would love to hear if you do!
- 1 tsp. active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (105-115°)
- 1 tbsp. honey or agave
- 1 1/4 cups (150 grams) All-purpose, unbleached flour
- 3/4 cup (90 grams) whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tbsp. melted unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp. non-fat Greek Yogurt (I used Fage)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh green onion
- 2 tbsp. egg substitute
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a large bowl, combine yeast, water and honey. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir in all-purpose flour, wheat flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray and fill each cup 3/4 full. We used an ice-cream scoop!
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown.