Sauteed fresh green beans topped with crispy breadcrumbs flavored with lemon zest and chorizo.
Don’t even think about green bean casserole. Forget it, banish it from your mind. One bite of my Sautéed Green Beans with Lemony Chorizo Breadcrumbs and you will never ever want green bean casserole again.These are fresh, crispy and “chorizo-ey” good. It’s amazing what a few browned bits of meaty deliciousness can do for green beans. They can even make a green bean hating person, like my husband, give it a try, and say “not too bad”. That is huge! I mean really huge. He usually won’t even put a green bean on his plate let alone in his mouth.
My poor hubby physically shivers at the thought of green beans. It is so funny. Me, being the supportive wife, always laughs like crazy when he does. It’s a green bean, it’s not a monster or something that is going to kill you. He may be a grown man; but give him a green bean and he is back to a little boy not wanting to eat his veggies. Needless to say, we only have green beans when he is not home for dinner.
I could eat green beans this way everyday. I especially love the haricot vert beans. I am so happy I can find them regularly in my local grocery store now. I’m thinking I might be able to turn my hubby into a green bean lover with this recipe. Don’t tell him. I’m going to work on it.
If you want to be sure to see Food Done Light’s next recipe, Chai Hot Chocolate, subscribe by email below. You won’t want to miss it.
Follow me on Pinterest Christie@Food Done Light
- 1 oz. finely diced Spanish Chorizo (it's dried)
- ½ tsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. haricot vert green beans
- ¼ cup minced Onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tbsp. butter
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ⅛ tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ cup fresh Bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Place breadcrumbs on a baking sheet and bake for about 5 minutes.
- Place on nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook chorizo until crumbly. Turn off the heat.
- Add breadcrumbs and lemon zest and mix well. Pour into a small bowl.
- Wipe out the pan and return to medium high heat with ½ tsp. olive oil. Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent.
- Add green beans and water. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer for about 7 minutes.
- Add butter and salt.
- Place haricot vert on a plate and sprinkle chorizo bread crumbs on top.
Make ahead tips:
- Make the bread crumbs a day or two ahead. I keep fresh bread crumbs in the freezer.
- Brown chorizo a day ahead.
- Wash green beans a day ahead.
But wait, there’s more. Check out these deliciously, healthy vegetable dishes: