Cheese Stuffed Jalapeno Phyllo Bites are the perfect healthy, spicy appetizer with a crunch.
Cheese, glorious, cheese. Oh how I adore thee! I love stinky, pungent cheese, creamy, soft cheese, rugged aged cheese and smoky, fragrant cheese. There is something about that ooey, gooey, melted goodness. I especially love cheese stuffed in a jalapeno, breaded and deep-fried. Cheese and jalapeno go together like buffalo sauce and chicken, sausage and peppers, peanut butter and jelly. They were made for each other. It’s a marriage made in heaven. So I had to lighten them and came up with Stuffed Jalapeno Phyllo Bites. I cannot live without these.
They still have the cheesy goodness of a jalapeno popper and that irresistible crunch. They even have a little bacony madness to them. Thanks to goat cheese they also have a little tang. Stuffed Jalapeno Phyllo Bites would make the perfect appetizer for a picnic or a munchie during a football game. They remind me of “man food” yet they are still light enough for a woman. You know they are going to be a crowd pleaser. These will be gone in a flash. Grab one while you can.
I know working with phyllo dough can be finicky and fiddly but it is so easy in this recipe. There is not a lot of layering sheets together. One sheet will wrap 2 stuffed jalapeno. You just wrap it around. It is that easy. You can also refreeze the phyllo you don’t use. Even better, make a double batch and freeze some. Don’t cook them, just wrap them in phyllo and freeze. You can have Stuffed Jalapeno Phyllo Bites whenever the need arises.
If you want to be sure to see Food Done Light’s next recipe, No Bake Oatmeal Fruit Cookies, subscribe by email below. You won’t want to miss it.
Follow me on Pinterest Christie@Food Done Light
- 12 jalapeno, cut in half, seeded
- 4 tbsp. third less fat Cream cheese, softened
- 1 ½ oz. Goat cheese, softened
- 2 cooked slices of pepper bacon, crumbled
- 3 tbsp. chopped Red pepper
- 1 tsp. fresh Thyme
- 1 tbsp. fresh chopped basil
- 6 sheets of Phyllo dough
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a small bowl, mix together cream cheese through basil.
- Smear cheese mixture into each half of a jalapeno.
- Lay out Phyllo dough on a work surface. Cover with a damp paper towel and clean dish cloth.
- Place one sheet in front of you and lightly spray with cooking spray. Fold the long side in half. Spray the top of the dough. Cut the dough in half. You should have 2 rectangles.
- Place a jalapeno cheese side down at one end of the Phyllo. Gently roll up the jalapeno in the Phyllo. Lightly spray both sides of Phyllo with cooking spray.
- Place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Repeat with remaining jalapeno.
- Bake at 375 for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve hot.
Happy Healthy Eating,
But wait there’s more. Check out these deliciously healthy appetizer recipes: